0. Items to be typed by the reader are
set aside with brackets < >
1. On the C-drive of the computer you are using, find "my documents" and create a new folder named <website101>. Everything you build locally should be saved to this folder using "save as"; this save command allows you to place the saved document where you can find it. Find "save as" by pulling down the "file" window.
2. You will be naming files in this activity.
Use a name that you can recognize. Append to the file name <
.html> Use up to10 digits or letters, lower case only. No
3. At the end of the session you will save everything that you worked on t floppy disk. The easiest way to do this is the use Windows Explorer utility program found in the start menu. Simply insert the floppy disk into the A drive and drag-and-drop website 101 from its location in my documents to the A drive. When starting a session, reverse the process to move your work from floppy to C drive. It is my experience that working off the floppy disk can be confusing because he machine wil save everything to C drive as a default place to go.
4. Call up Netscape. Pull down the window at the top of page and click on Netscape composer. Composer is the editing function for Netscape. At the left end of the tool bar, find the "new page" icon and click on it. Click on new page. Pull down the file window and click "save as". Find your way to the website 101 folder under my documents on the C drive. Name this new file <index.HTML>. This is the most important page in your website. This is the page the computer looks for when it tries to find your website.
5. On the index page and type < Mr./Ms
(your name) Home Page.> Highlight these words & pull
down alignment icon that the far right of the toolbar. Click
on center alignment. While it's highlighted click on the color
icon to change the color into something like red. You may wish
to increase the font size as well.
6. We will use the index page as a title
page. ( We will return to this page to later to improve its appearance.)
Space five or six lines down and type
<Go to table of contents>. (Go to the alignment icon, pull down the window, and click right justify. This puts your "go to" command, to the right hand side of the page.)
7. Create a new page and title this page <table of contents.> Save this page in your website folder. Now let's link to title page to table of contents page. At the bottom of the screen are two blue triangle icons, one for the table of contents page, the other for the title page. On the title page, highlight the words <go to table of contents> and click on the link icon. You must now find the page to which you can link this title page. Browse through various folders until you come to website folder, open the web site folder and choose table of contents , click save. Click preview. Now click table of contents on the title page to jump to table of contents.
8. Let's go to the table of contents page. At the bottom (five or six lines down), type in <return to title page>. Highlight the words return to title page, click on the link icon, and browse through three website folder and to come to the is the destination of the jump click save click preview and you should have to pages index page table of contents page to link together back and forth.
9. The table of contents acts as a directory to send your readers to other pages on your website. Let's say that you going to have pages for the following: teacher vitae; homework assignments; course descriptions; useful links; honors and awards. Type each of these page titles on its own line with a blank line between them. Type table of contents at the top of the page. When you're finished this task, click the save button.
10. Now create another new page as we
did in #3 above. We will name this file " teacher vitae."
Remember to use the "save as" command and to save to
your folder named website 101. At the top of the page type in
"teacher vitae"; enlarge the font and center as before.
Scroll down a few lines and type in return to table of contents
at the bottom of the page. You can add the content of this page
later. We are now ready to link to pages together.
11. If you do not have ws-ftp, you can
download it free from the URL below. This is shareware free to
http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.htm ws-ftp LE 5.08
12. Waterville server information
Profile name: watervillewebpage
Host name/address: wshs.wtvl.k12.me.us
Host type: automatic detect